Good post. (It’s from Oct 2010, though. But it’s probably still relevant) I’d noticed that I never see updates from certain friends and wondered why. Turns out: It’s complicated. And it’s completely up to Facebook’s filtering system.
- Facebook Has a Bias Against Newcomers
- Facebook’s Catch-22: To get exposure on Facebook, you need friends to interact with your updates in certain ways
- "Most Recent" News Is Censored, Too.
- "Stalking" Your Friends Won’t Get You Noticed.
- Having Friends Who Stalk You WILL Help Your Popularity.
- Links Trump Status Updates.
- Photos and Videos Trump Links.
- The Power of Comments. If items you post attract comments from a few friends, it clearly raises your visibility overall.
This all kind of sucks, actually. I hate not seeing an update from one of my friends only to find out it’s because Facebook didn’t consider it IMPORTANT enough.